Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A Dollop of Daisy

After living in separate places for the first year after Jill moved to Houston, we converged under the roof of a wall-to-wall-to-wall-to-wall carpeted apartment.  I mean, this freaking place had carpeting in the kitchen.  What?  Why?  Cruel.

It was during this carpeted period of our lives that we naturally found our footing, our daily routine.

It was an exciting time, b/c in many ways it was new all over again...
  • What time do you wake up?  
  • Do you brush your teeth before or after you eat breakfast?  
  • Is showering first on your morning to-do list?  
  • How long does this makeup thing take?  
All those little things that need to be ironed out to make for an efficient couple.

The soundtrack for our morning routine was often the Today Show.  We'd get our daily dose of top-line, easily digestible news clippings spit at us by Katie and Matt as we zigzagged the carpeted floors.

This particular year, however, we were granted a :30 bonus (a dollop, if you will) to kickstart our mornings.

Apparently Daisy, the (leading?) sour cream brand, was coming in fast and hard w/ their marketing efforts.  Today Show viewers were clearly positioned in the crosshairs.

B/c this happened.

Every.  Freaking.  Morning.

(I'll wait.  Take :30 and let it wash all over you.)

We ate it up.  (Not literally.  I don't eat that shit.  The name alone doesn't suggest a positive experience.  Don't juxtapose 'sour' and 'cream' and attempt to convince me that everything is going to be okay if I ingest your product.)

No, when I say 'ate it up,' I mean when that spot kicked on, Jilly and I stopped in our tracks.  We turned up the volume on the TV and sang along w/ that ridiculously cheese'tastic jingle.  Dancing was often in order as well.

:30 of pure, uninterrupted bliss.

So, thanks, Daisy.  Sure, I wouldn't consume your cream if my life depended on it.  (Check that.  If my life depended on it, I'd eat sour cream.  Let's just hope that unique situation doesn't present itself.)  But, that spot - that beautiful commercial - brought me us joy on a near daily basis.

And, once again, it's these little things, these micro memories, that are magnified in hindsight.  And I intend to hold onto as many of these dollops as my head and heart will permit.

All love,

J, J, & r





No comments:

Post a Comment