Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Glow

We had boarded the cruise ship just the day before.  We certainly needed more time to get acclimated w/ our surroundings.  But, there was no time for that now.

We awoke early the next morning in separate cabins.  It was a Tuesday.  If memory serves, I shared a cabin w/ my dad, while Jill slept w/ my mom and sister.  (Though admittedly I'm fuzzy on these details.  Jill wouldn't be.)  The intent of this separation was to ensure we didn't see one another until it was traditionally permitted.  Funny b/c we tend to avoid 'traditional traditions,' choosing instead to create our own.

Jilly spent the morning getting dolled up - white dress, fancy hair, fresh makeup, new jewelry, the whole nine.

I threw on a new suit and tried to make sure my dad didn't yack on me.  (He had been extremely sick in the days leading up to our departure and barely made the trip.)

I don't recall every moment of the ceremony; really just a few flashes come to mind.

But, the one vision that will forever be engrained in my head and my heart is how Jilly looked that day.  She emanated pure beauty.  She glowed.

And here's the thing.  I imagine (if they're doing it for the right reasons) most brides glow on their wedding day.  But, I guess what didn't really strike me until I began to reflect on that day was what caused Jilly's glow.  It was me.  It was us.  Jilly beamed that day b/c we had found one another and chosen to spend the rest of our lives together.

I guess all of that seems obvious.  But, when I really give it thought and open myself back up to that day, it feels new again.  I'm still surprised by, yet grateful for that day and that glow.  At risk of cheesing out this post, real love created that fucking glow.

And if you ask Jilly or I, that glow shined in us from January 6, 2004 until November 12, 2014.  You may not have always seen it.  But without question, in sickness and in health, good times and bad, we always saw it in one another.

On this day, our eleven year anniversary, I choose to remember and bask in the glow of what was truly a once in a lifetime relationship filled with comfort, understanding, and unwavering true love.

All love,

J, J, & r


No comments:

Post a Comment