Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Weird In-Between

We are (happily) living in a weird in-between right now.  We were planning for the end of my life to be coming in the next few weeks, and as you know, I'm a planner.  So, here's a peak at some of the things that we were in the middle of planning or dealing with when the happy news changed the direction of our planning.  This may not seem funny to everyone, but trust me, Jason and I have enjoyed more than a chuckle as we become aware of more and more things that belong on this list.
  • We spent a hefty sum on a new, adjustable bed that moves up and down, gives massages, etc.  We thought I'd be spending most of my days in bed.
  • I started giving away my jewelry to my nieces (no, you don't have to return it)!
  • I asked my parents what items of mine they wanted to keep and made sure they went home with them already.
  • We took my name off our checking account.
  • I cancelled my next dentist and eye doctor appointments.  Do you know how long it's going to take me to get back on their calendars?!
  • In a spreadsheet, I have most details of my End of Life Celebration written out.  I've assigned some friends to tasks in planning, communicating, making scrapbooks for Rory, baking desserts, etc!
  • I have a phone call to return to the city's Park's Department about the park swing we're ordering as a memorial to me.
BTW, someone has reached out and asked me if I'd write a post about how we talked with Rory about this.  I'll work on that.  I'm not a pro but I totally understand that anyone in this type of situation can use some words to try out and see if it fits their relationship with their kid(s).

4 comments:

  1. Could you please, please, please record the phone call to the Park's Department where you tell them you are ordering a memorial swing...for yourself! ;-) That would be awesome.

    I'm enjoying this time with you all vicariously. So thankful.

    Noa was just talking about Rory last night. Your girl made a fast friend in my youngster.

    Enjoy this beautiful day and the vibrating massage bed.

    Love, Ginnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not think I would ever be glad to say this to someone, but I am so happy your plans did not work out. Your story and bravery has really touched me - a complete stranger many thousands of miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, I know that we have not seen each other, or spoken in well over 20 years, but I am moved by your strength, determination, and love of life. It reminds me of the "kid" I remember from days gone by. Stay on the path and keep fighting. My family and I are thinking of and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, the Foley Family, sends to you and your family our love, support and prayers. May you find strength from your family, friends, and God. You are a strong woman!

    ReplyDelete