Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Thank a Scientist

At the cancer center, in the chemo treatment rooms, there are these tile murals.  As an artistic outlet, survivors, patients and family members have apparently painted 4"x4" tiles with inspirational messages over time.  They line the walls of the walls in different areas.  Probably 98% of them are messages of hope, inspiration and faith.  Messages like "Faith Heals", "God Bless My Aunt" and "Stay Strong".

Recently one caught my eye.  It reads "Thank a Scientist".  I love this one.  It reminds us that along with all the unknown energy that comes from our spiritual side, the health of cancer patients also is influenced by scientists we will never, ever meet.  Scientists who create drugs, design diagnostic tests, figure out why some treatments work for some people and not for others.

Today in particular, I'm VERY thankful for scientists.  We saw the doc today and tomorrow I will be starting my new drug.  I'll be calling it "Palbo" for short.  It is not FDA approved, but I've been lucky enough to be given it via Pfizer's Compassionate Care program, if you remember from months ago. We had one small change in the plan that we weren't expecting.  We thought I would be taking the Palbo in combination with an estrogen blocker, but the Compassionate Care program apparently states that the drug cannot be taken with anything else.   However, all trials and research that show the effectiveness of Palbo included an estrogen blocker.  There have been NO trials of Palbo alone.  The only people taking Palbo alone are those, like me, who have received the drug through the Compassionate Care program.  So, we don't have any research to look at to point out the possible effectiveness of Palbo alone.  

Regardless of what research says, this is my shot with this med, and I'm excited to try it.  So, send some happy, healthy wishes my way tomorrow, and thank a scientist for giving me this chance!


1 comment:

  1. Jill,
    Sending lots of positive thoughts for you!!!!

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete