Monday, January 13, 2014

Shortening My Morning Routine

The holidays and the Polar Vortex are both over with, so I am now finding time to write again.  My Cancer Christmas present was that my hair decided on Christmas Day that it was finally ready to start jumping ship.  We left the following day to visit my family in Iowa.  I feel like I owe my brother money for a plumber to be sure I didn't clog their shower with all the hair I lost down their drain!!  It was just pouring out of my head when I was there!  I even let Jason shave part of it while we were there just so we had less mess to deal with.

I had another chemo treatment the day after Christmas, and we jumped in the car immediately afterward to head to Iowa.  This schedule made for a low-key holiday visit since I hit my low period while we were there.  Let's be honest .. a visit home usually just includes hanging out anyway.

My hair is now very thin and we've shaved parts of it.  I'm wearing a hat most of the time because my little head gets cold, even indoors!

We saw the doc last week and all my numbers show that the chemo is likely working.  Things seem to be stabilizing and we will do a CT scan on Jan 21st to take a look.  If the scan shows that it IS working, then we are going to do a few more treatments of this drug before starting the one I've mentioned before that doesn't yet have FDA approval.  The goal is to shrink it all as much as possible before we start "freezing" it.

Chemo #3 is going on right now, as I type (yes, I just took this picture sitting here).  Jason is always with me at treatments, but today he is home recuperating from what was either a very nasty virus or the flu.  It hit him while we celebrated our 10th anniversary in Chicago this weekend.  That is a story for another time.  :)  Usually my treatments are on Wednesdays, but we shifted this one so I wasn't exhausted during our anniversary trip.

Speaking of trips, we are starting to think about trips for spring break and summer, so if you have ideas, please share!  We are considering:  renting an RV and driving to Yosemite; renting a house on Orcas Island, Washington; Alaska to see the aurora borealis; a trip to Chicago with Rory; dude-ranching in Arizona; and many more!  Share your ideas!!

2 comments:

  1. I think you should do a Disney cruise to the Bahamas with the 2es in August!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following your blog for sometime now and admire your perserverance and bravery as you weather this illness. But I wanted to recommend some place I have found that may be enjoyable. Jackson Hole, Wyoming has natural beauty and recreational skiing. I have been to Yosemite and I find Yellowstone has much more to see and the town of Jacjson Hole is a fun place. I am from California myself and of course there is the beach here out west, we are having great weather. I think NYC is a great place and heck if you never have been to Europe...then break the bank then go to Paris, France. I know it sounds crazy but whatever you decide I hope you have a grand time!!

    ReplyDelete