Thursday, September 19, 2013

Spot Welding

I chose this picture after I googled "spot welding" because it was so sparkly!
You all know how much I love tools, right?  Power tools, especially?  So, I'm excited that I could make a tool reference in this update.

The MRIs of my hip and spine came back and show some edema in my left hip.  Edema is basically swelling.  The report says that the swelling could be either cancer or stress, and the only way to find out which it is for sure is to basically drill into my hip. No thanks.  So, we're going to assume its a little bit of rogue cancer that doesn't want to respond to my chemotherapy as well as the other pieces of cancer have been.

Today I had a CT scan to plan for one treatment of radiation to my hip, which I'll have tomorrow (Friday) morning.  One shot and done.  The nurse referred to it as "spot welding".  They find a little spot in the bones that is causing pain, they shoot it with some radiation, and hopefully it's all good after that.  If it works, the pain should be gone fully in about 2-3 weeks. In the meantime, I'm on crutches to take the weight off of my hip when I walk so I don't cause a fracture.

I'm always more relieved to have a plan than to be in the investigational phase, so I'm feeling some relief.  I can't help but feel, however, that we've started a new phase of my disease, where we are dealing with complications as they come up.  Up to now, it seems like it's been an all-or-nothing package. Either everything was responding or nothing was.  I'm not sure yet what to make of this new dynamic, but overall I don't like it very much.  It's really the first time I feel "disabled" by cancer and I'm not very happy about it.  However, I'm trying to focus on this hopefully being short-term and sorted out in a month or so.

In the meantime, I might start taking some of you up on those offers for help.  It's hard to make dinner on crutches and I feel bad waiting for Jason to get home to have him start dinner.  For those of you who have a vegan dish or two up your sleeve and feel like cooking, I'm sure I can find a week night where it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your hugs, texts, emails, calls, etc! And thank you to those of you who have been taking Rory to/from school when we have doctor appointments and walking our dog for me. We have an AMAZING support network of people we love!!

3 comments:

  1. Supper is on the way--check your E-mail

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so amazing Jill!!! I only hope that someday I'll be half as amazing as you are not only as a person, but a mother/wife/friend.... the list could go on!(Clearly I stalk your Facebook a little toooo much!) Thinking about you guys always! Wish I lived closer... I'd totally cook up some dinner for you 3, although you may never ever invite me back afterwards! ;)
    -Paige

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stopped by and had a quick question about your blog. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance -emilywalsh688 (at) gmail.com- Thanks : )

    Emmy

    ReplyDelete