Thursday, May 9, 2013

Half Asleep

I JUST FOUND THIS POST IN MY DRAFTS FILE FROM FEBRUARY. I THOUGHT IT WAS TOO FUNNY NOT TO SHARE.  I HAVE TO SAY, THOUGH, THAT MY SLEEPING HAS IMPROVED SINCE THEN.  I STILL WAKE UP A LOT, BUT I'M NOT UP FOR TWO HOURS ANYMORE.


My sleep patterns have changed, and I'm thinking many people might be able to identify with me for a number of reasons.

I remember being able to sleep soundly.  I remember being able to sleep through the night.  Back then, on the rare occasion I did wake up to go to the bathroom, I walked back and forth in a bit of a sleep coma, a fog of being half asleep.  This may sound strange, but I miss being half asleep.

I would fall back into bed and fall back to sleep after one deep breath.  In the morning, I had hardly any memory of getting up.

No more.

Now I lay awake for roughly two hours every time I get up, which is most nights.  I lay in bed arguing with my own brain, which seems at that hour to have a case of ADD.

"Focus on your breathing. It will help you relax."
"Why does the dog snore like that?
"I need to remember to organize my medicine in the morning."
"Did I start the dishwasher? Should I go check?"
"Stop thinking about things to do.  Breathe. That's the only way you'll get back to sleep."
"Seriously, does the dog have a sinus problem? I might have to take her to the vet."
"Breathe. Why can I only focus on one breath before my brain starts running again?"
"I need to start meditating."
"Should I get up and read a book?"

This entire conversation takes about 15 seconds in my head.  Two hours of that.  I have no idea how I finally get back to sleep.  CRAZY!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment