Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Back on the Optimism Train!

Sorry for the week-long cliffhanger!

We saw the doc a week ago and left feeling much better than when we went in.  I just don't deal well with the unknown.  I need facts and a plan.  My appointment gave me both of those things.

My scan showed a few new small tumors on my liver, but also showed that my old tumors hadn't flared back up; they were still dormant.  It means the clinical trial was an epic failure.  However, that gave us a new piece of information about my cancer, which is always helpful.  The clinical trial was focused on blocking all estrogen pathways that the cancer might be using to grow.  Since the clinical trial didn't work at all, that tells us that the cancer isn't using the estrogen to build, so we don't need to be worried about my estrogen levels, ovaries, etc.  We are now going to look at how to block different pathways.

First, though, I've started an oral chemo to shrink the tumors.  This new chemo, which I get to take at home each morning/night, should be easier on my bone marrow while hopefully keeping this cancer contained and possibly even shrinking it a bit.



Today I've now been taking the new chemo for a week.  My labs today showed that all my liver enzymes have either stabilized or lowered (yay!).  My white blood cells are looking a little low, too, so my pattern of taking the chemo is being altered just a little, and I'll get my blood work checked again next week.  Here is Jason entertaining me while waiting at the doctor's office today:  "They shouldn't leave us in here with nothing but time to waste and expensive gadgets!"

I hope you all are having a great week!  We are expecting a heck of an ice storm here in St. Louis tomorrow, so stay safe everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment