Saturday, March 24, 2012

Our Crazy Food Adventure Begins

Cancer and cancer treatments are very, very complicated.  As a patient, it is easy to feel like if you just do exactly what the doctors tell you to do, you are doing EVERYTHING possible.  But we are finding that this is just not reality.  I have a wonderful oncologist.  The best.  Truly.  But his job is to get to know my cancer and figure out the  best way to beat the hell out of it.  

What that doesn't include is telling me the things I can be doing at home.  Luckily, over the last few years, Jason and I have been doing our own research about nutrition, foods that combat cancer (most things that are green), foods that feed cancer (most things that are yummy!), and what role stress, chemicals, and exercise play in preventing cancer.  

Let's be clear... just because I KNOW what's good for me doesn't mean I've done it.  I've been able to spout off research and studies left and right, usually with a bagel or Coke in my hand.  And now I'm kicking myself for it.  Just a little, though, since guilt and stress aren't going to make me feel any better.  

We have made a dramatic shift in the food in our house, though.  For those of you who don't know, about six months Jason and I watched a documentary called "Forks Over Knives", which is about all the ways the western diet feeds chronic disease.  It promotes a whole food, plant-based diet, which basically means going vegan.  About two days after watching this, Jason went full-on vegan.  No meat, no fish, no dairy, no cheese, no yogurt, no milk, no eggs.  If it comes from something that had parents, he doesn't ingest it.  I could not go that far, but I made some changes.

Then, with my diagnosis, we had to reassess again.  While I haven't yet gone full-on vegan, I have only had chicken probably 3 times in the last month, and salmon once, and that's all the meat.  I still have a little cheese here and there, but have moved to soy milk.  Rory LOVES the chocolate soy milk!  She's always been a huge vegetable and fruit eater, so she hasn't really noticed the changes.  We did buy vegan ice cream, which she believes is totally healthy and so therefore she can eat it anytime in her mind... "It says it's vegan, and I'M vegan, so I can have it, right" she asks at breakfast.  :)

I've started to choke down green smoothies Jason makes for me in the morning, and I've made vegan coffee cake and vegan cookies.  We have gained numerous new vegan cookbooks in the house and are finding new favorite recipes that make us feel good and can actually, ready for this... POSSIBLY SLOW OR REVERSE CANCER.  Yep... there's research to support that.  So, I'll do it.  Feel free to join us on this crazy food adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment