Tuesday, December 30, 2008

How to Prevent Cancer

2008 is almost over, and I'm glad to see it go!  We got through it just fine, though, and hopefully 2009 will bring a new house and a fresh beginning here in St. Louis for the three of us.  In 2009, the focus is making changes in my lifestyle that will lower my odds of dealing with this again.  You know what?  The things that will lower my odds of getting it again are the same things that will lower your risk of getting it in the first place.  So, I thought I'd share.  REMEMBER... 80-85% of women who get breast cancer have NO significant family history, just like me.  It's not "them" who get it, it's "us".  So, let's all be proactive.

The American Institute for Cancer Research has done a huge review of all the cancer research out there and determined what factors contribute MOST to cancer and what things can PREVENT cancer the most.  It's a great summary.  Here's the link to the full report.  There's also a fancy chart that shows how much each possible factor contributes to different kinds of cancer here.

In summary (for those of you who will never go read it, but who I care about very much), for those who are premenopausal, the three things they have listed that have the most convincing evidence of contributing to an increased risk of breast cancer are:  high birth weight, alcohol, and your height.  Seriously.  So, no more wine for me for the most part, and I'm going to start wearing flats.  :)  Since I can't do much about 2 of those 3, I'll check out the list of things that contribute to decreasing the risk of breast cancer.  Those are:  breastfeeding your kids (check), and high activity levels.  Anyone want to go for a walk? 







 

2 comments:

  1. Happy 2009, Schmilly! I've been thinking of you often, and thanks for the great info. on cancer research.

    I hope 2009 brings all of you lots of laughter, joy, and relentless great health. You deserve all that is wonderful.

    Love,
    Ginnie

    ReplyDelete