Friday, August 22, 2008

5 down, 1 to go

Wednesday was my 5th chemo treatment of six.  Rather than be in what they call "pods", rooms where up to 6 people are getting their treatment in lounge chairs, I got a private room with a bed.  I think they were just busy, but it was AWESOME!  I called Rebecca to see if she wanted to come visit.  Jason said, "Jill, this isn't CAMP!" but it felt like it.  I could talk on my cell phone and not worry about bothering people, etc.  There was a nice table where Jason could set up his laptop and work.  And we had a great nurse (Marilyn) who didn't screw up my IV.  Next week Jason and I will meet with the surgeon to see what's next.  They say that about 3-4 weeks after my last treatment (last treatment is Sept 10, three weeks later is Oct 1), I would have surgery.  Lumpectomy probably along with having all the lymph nodes removed from under my left armpit, which is the part that makes recovery longer.  Apparently those lymph nodes handle some kind of fluid, so you have to wear a drain for 1-3 weeks afterward until your body creates a work-around.  It limits the mobility on that side a lot, and that's the tough part of the recovery.  Then after full surgery recovery, I'll have 6 weeks of radiation, which should be much easier than chemo (though chemo has been pretty good to me).  Then, hopefully, all is good and well, maybe even finished by Christmas!! 

3 comments:

  1. I had to laugh out loud when I imagined your pleasure at having a private space, Schmilly. It WAS like camp! I loved camp.

    What a fantastic Christmas present it would be for you to be through with the medical part of this journey and to move on to the total healing.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    Love,
    Ginnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill,
    I hadn't read your blog in a while so I thought I would catch up. I hope that our visit after your 4th treatment didn't wear you out too much. It was so great to see you! I am relieved to hear that this last treatment went better. I think about you and pray for you every day...today especially, because it is my Dad's two year anniversary of his surgery. You are so strong and I am proud to call myself your friend. Keep fighting and send some good thoughts Jason and Rory's way too! Love you!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are praying for you every day!
    And I'm actually living the moments in flash backs with Bryan-
    when he was going through it all.
    It is a long road and my love to Jason-who is being a great support! Only positive thoughts and happy outcomes! You are not alone.
    All our strength and love
    Your cousin Cathy and family-Bryan, Jake & Sarah

    ReplyDelete