Thursday, May 15, 2008

Some heavy news

On Monday, May 12, this is the email I sent out to many friends and family:

Hi everyone...

I am so sorry to be sending this via email, but I'm sure you'll understand why. Some of you know and many of you don't, that a few days after we moved to STL, I had a lymph node under my left arm that I noticed was slightly enlarged. Knowing I was starting a new job a few days later and wouldn't have time to get to a doctor, I thought I'd rather be safe than sorry and went to a doctor to get it checked out. As you know, things have been stressful with the move, new job, etc., so I was probably just fighting off a bug and my lymph node was getting taxed. The doctor ordered a number of tests that all came back normal (blood, urine, chest x-ray). Two weeks later (when I was on my new insurance), he ordered some CT scans (basically my whole body above the knee). They all came back normal except that I had a big bump under my left arm. A mammogram was also done which came back normal.

After that, the only way to see what else might be going on was to do small outpatient surgery, remove the node, and biopsy it. That procedure was this morning. Several of the results will take until the end of the week to get back, but some results were available today. Immediately following the procedure, they told me that the screening for cancer came back positive. They aren't sure what kind it is, so I'll be having an MRI tomorrow. Other than the incision from the procedure this morning, I feel absolutely fine. My parents were in town for Mother's Day and stayed through the procedure, so it was nice to have them here today to talk with the doctor, too.

I am taking a bit of a hiatus from my phone right now and am not really ready to talk about it. I hope you understand. I will be checking email and will respond when I can. I plan on being back at work on Wednesday, pending any results from tomorrow's MRI. If any of you really have questions, Jason's cell number is xxx-xxx-xxxx(please call in the evenings or weekends, as this is also his work phone temporarily). The number here at his parents' house is xxx-xxx-xxxx. Feel free to call if you want to talk to Jason (or Debbie, of course).

You are my friends, and I love you. Please take a moment to put me in your prayers. Thanks.

Jill

3 comments:

  1. The Cullen Family will have you in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying for you Jill. I know you are such a strong woman and will get through this :) With,Love. The Lewis's

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey jill- sara let us know about this- you are in our prayers!

    stephanie turner

    ReplyDelete