Thursday, May 22, 2008

Let the chemo begin!

A lot has happened and I haven't had much time to update, so I'll write a little now and hopefully over the next few days I'll come back and add some details in. Yesterday we met with an oncologist at Siteman Cancer Center and we really liked him so I'll be doing my treatment with him. We've decided to start as soon as possible, so my first round of chemo is scheduled for Wednesday. Yep, next week. May 28, almost 6 weeks to the day from when I found the lump and 6 1/2 weeks since we moved. It's a bit mind-boggling to think of it that way.

I'll have chemo once every 3 weeks, for 6 treatments. My last treatment should be on or around September 10. After that, surgery, then radiation. But those are a long way away right now.

Right now, the planning is on. Cleaners for the house; antibacterial hand gel for every possible location; consultations about wigs; appointments to cut my hair super-short before it comes out itself; reading books about how to handle this with toddlers; designating a little bag for snacks, comfortable things, and entertainment for the 2-3 hours we'll be sitting at chemo; researching the drugs they will be putting in my system during chemo; researching the drugs i'll be taking to counteract the side effects of the drugs they will be putting in my system during chemo; shopping for scarves, hats, etc. of every imaginable type (interesting thing I've learned: polyester and silk will slide off my head, so i'll have to stick with cotton); talking with Rory's school so they can help keep an eye on her for signs of stress; finding support groups; consideration of air purifiers; checking every possibility with insurance for flexible spending decisions; figuring out how to make meals, shopping, etc. as easy as possible for a busy household that's about to get busier; and of course, I'm still at WORK and trying to do some of that, too. That's a small peek into what is in my rolodex of to-dos right now, along with, of course, get rest, spend time with friends and family, do some special things with Rory and Jason, and once in a while stop and soak it all in.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to need to see pics of the sassy new short 'do when you get the cut. Also, I'm with Aimee that you should go platinum blonde. This will be like your Samantha/Sex and The City opportunity to do whatever the heck you want and NO ONE can say a word! Love you, darling!

    ReplyDelete